May 10, 2021
This tasty soup is the perfect remedy if you’re feeling rundown, feel like you’re coming down with a cold or flu or basically as sick as a dog! It’s crammed packed with prebiotic fibre, which your healthy gut bacteria will love and your immune system will thank you. Enjoy!
Serves a small army!
p.s. go organic as much as possible for the maximum nutrient fix!
Olive oil – 1 Tbs
Garlic, 4 cloves – crushed
Ginger, 5cm fresh root – finely grated
Tumeric, 5cm fresh root (if available) – grated (gloves recommended!) or 2 tsp turmeric powder
Cumin, ground – 2 tsp
Coriander, ground – 1 tsp
Bay leaves, 2
1 brown onion – chopped
1 leek – thinly sliced
3 sticks Celery – chopped
3 Carrots – diced
1 Parsnip – diced
1 Turnip – diced
1 Swede – diced
1 Sweet potato – diced
2 potatoes – diced
Tuscan kale, 1 bunch – washed and finely chopped
Puy lentils ½ cup – rinsed
Black lentils ½ cup – rinsed
Red lentils ½ cup – rinsed
Chickpeas, 400g tin BPA free – rinsed
Chicken bone broth – 1 Lt
Vegetable stock – 1Lt
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based pot. Sauté the onion, leek, and celery until slightly softened. Then add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin and coriander, fry off for a minute.
- Add all of the other vegetables, except the kale (that comes later), and give it all a good sauté to mix through the flavour of the spices.
- Add the bone broth and vegetable stock, stir to combine.
- Then add the lentils, chickpeas and bay leaves.
- Allow to come to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the chopped kale and allow to cook for another ½ an hour.
- Serve and enjoy!